Monday 2 July 2012

Low fat biscuits oatmeal cookies are oil free out the coconut


Low fat biscuits oatmeal cookies unrefined cane sugar

This is a special treat for you and for me. Well, for Phil too if I let him have some...
These low fat oatmeal cookies are oil free, and can actually easily be made virtually fat free as well by leaving out the coconut.

When we arrived in our room in Kotor, Montenegro - that turned out to be an apartment shared with just one other couple - there was unrefined cane sugar waiting for me in the cupboard. I took this as a sign that I had to make some cookies.

With an oven, rolled oats and whole wheat flour, everything was working in my favor. I also used raisins, cinnamon and shredded coconut, but you could add whatever combination of goodies you like. I used a technique I use for muffins and cookies that does not use any oil, since I still don't want to lug any around with me on our travels. It's actually a good excuse to stick to whole food methods, which I much prefer.
Keep in mind that with this technique, because different styles of rolled oats will absorb different amounts of water you may wind up with a batter that is either too wet or too dry. I've listed measurements that work for me, but go slowly and adjust as you go.
They make a great treat to take with you when you head out sightseeing, hiking, or just curled up at home with a good book.

Prep time: 10 min. Cooking time: 15-20 min.
Time from start to eating: 25-30 min.
Makes 12 small cookies.
Low Fat Oatmeal Cookies Ingredients
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup hot water
1 tsp cinnamon/nutmeg/allspice mix
1 cup flour
¼ cup raisins
¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
¼ cup unrefined sugar
pinch salt

Low Fat Oatmeal Cookies Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Mix together 1 cup of the rolled oats with the water in a large bowl. Add the cinnamon, stir to combine and leave this for a few minutes, so that the oats absorb the water.
2. Next, pour in the rest of the ingredients. Stir them in gently, and add more water or oats as necessary to get to a cookie batter consistency.
3. Spoon out onto a baking tray lined with parchment, and put in the oven for 15-20 minutes, until they are just starting to brown around the outside.
4. Pull them out, let them cool for a minute, then transfer them to a cooling rack to cool fully, if you can leave them that long. I hope you enjoy these low fat oatmeal cookies, the latest of my healthy vegan recipes.
To watch a free video of me making this low fat oatmeal cookies recipe, so I can show you the exact techniques that will make the perfect oatmeal cookies, go to
Heather Nauta is a registered holistic nutritionist who teaches you how to live a healthy vegan/vegetarian lifestyle, including how to get proper nutrition, enough protein, vitamin b12 and other minerals, and how to make an amazing variety of simple, fast healthy recipes that taste incredible for you and your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment